- Personnel includes: Barbra Streisand (vocals); Vince Gill (vocals, acoustic & electric guitars); Dean Parks (acoustic & electric guitars); Michael Landau (electric guitar); Paul Franklin (pedal steel guitar); Stuart Duncan (fiddle); Bruce Dukov (violin); Jon Clarke (recorder); Tommy Morgan (harmonica); Kenny G. (tenor saxophone); Randy Waldman (piano, keyboards, synthesizer); Mike Lang, Jim Cox (piano); Walter Afanasieff (keyboards, drum programming); Richard Marx, David Foster (keyboards); Reggie Hamilton, Nathan East, Leland Sklar (bass); Ralph Humphrey, J.R. Robinson (drums); Paulinho DaCosta (percussion); Steve Skinner, Greg Bieck, Felipe Elgueta, Peter Hume (programming).
- Engineers include: Frank Wolf, David Reitzas, Al Schmitt.
- Producers include: David Foster, Richard Marx, Barbra Streisand, Tony Brown, Arif Mardin.
- Includes liner notes by Barbra Streisand.
- Barbra Streisand's marriage to actor James Brolin inspired her to record an album of uplifting love songs that is her best work since THE BROADWAY ALBUM. "I've Dreamed of You" is a touching ballad inspired by a Norwegian instrumental, and is the first song Babs sang at her wedding. "Isn't it a Pity?" is the song the couple danced to first, and is a fabulous reworking of the George and Ira Gershwin tune. "The Island," originally done by Patti Austin in 1981, is a Caribbean-flavored number featuring Kenny G on tenor saxophone. "If You Ever Leave Me," a duet with Vince Gill, is a made-for-radio smash written by Richard Marx. "Just One Lifetime" is another song Barbra sang to James at their wedding, and contains a semi-classical arrangement by Marvin Hamlisch. "The Music That Makes Me Dance" originally appeared in 1963 on the FUNNY GIRL original Broadway cast recording.
- Barbra Streisand has rarely given fans a glimpse into her personal life, but does so on A LOVE LIKE OURS. Her youthful enthusiasm combines with her unmistakable voice to make clear that we have yet to see the apex of her career.
Entertainment Weekly (10/8/99, p.72) - "The glorious voice is still without parallel in contemporary pop....Her bravura remake of 'Music That Makes Me Dance'...and two newer works 'Just One Lifetime' and 'We Must Be Loving Right' tower above most of the surrounding mush." - Rating: B-